(or canyoning up waterfalls) is a typically Japanese sport and is for advanced outdoor enthusiasts who would enjoy rock climbing, mountaineering and / or backcountry skiing or snowboarding.
I recommend a programme at Red Canyon, which is also my favourite and the one I have visited the most. It can be easily accessed from Kansai and Chubu areas, and the itinerary offers a wonderful scenery as well.
It is located in the Suzuka Mountains, in Shiga prefecture, and the attraction of this canyon is the deep forests and beautiful waterfall and basin. We can enjoy both shower climbing and swimming. You will also encounter a 4m “jump-rock” during tour. This course is not too long, but it is steep and there are also sections of down climbing.
July through to September is the recommended time for this programme, as the cold water from the mountains will feel refreshing during this period of time.
I also recommend to add an optional Japanese meal plan at the mountain trout farm nearby. Please contact me for reservation.
Required Levels: You need to be in good health and over 20-year-old. You need to be comfortable with approximately 3-4 hours of walking in a day, covering a distance of 2.6km and a vertical ascent of 230m.
We meet at one of these places:
1. Youkaichi Station (Ohmi Railway), in Shiga prefecture.
For access from Kyoto or Osaka, take JR Tokaido Line. Transfer at Ohmi-Hachiman Station to Ohmi Railway.
2. Misato Station (Sangi Railway), in Mie prefecture.
For access from Tokyo, take Shinkan-sen (Bullet train). Transfer at Nagoya Station (Kintetsu Nagoya Station) to Kintetsu Line. Transfer at Kintetsu Tomita Station to Sangi Railway.
* I am a private guide so I can adjust the meeting place to suit your requirements. Please contact me to discuss if you need to.
Transportation from the meeting place to the starting point of the tour is included in the Trip Price.
1 person – JPY 37,500 per person
2 people – JPY 19,500 per person
3 people – JPY 16,500 per person
4 people – JPY 15,000 per person
5 people – JPY 13,500 per person
6 people – JPY 12,500 per person
Included in Price:-
Guide Fee, Rental fee for equipment (e.g. Helmet, PFD (life jacket), Harness, carabiner, wet suit, water shoes etc.), Tax
|– Swim suit|
– Inner wear (T-shirt and shorts to wear under the wetsuit, if you want to.)
– Snack and Drink
– Waterproof backpack (1 for group)
– Wetsuit *
– Water shoes **Rental fee for wet suit JPY 1,000 each, for water shoes JPN 500 each
*Rental wear/equipment has size limit, Please contact me in advance, if you weigh more than 90kg or your shoe size is bigger than 29cm.
*Free rental available for items such as helmet, PFD (life jacket), harness and carabiner.
There is a basic tent for changing clothes, but no other facilities are available once you’re in the mountains.
- For hazard avoidance, this program could be canceled, postponed or modified in case of bad weather. In that case, it will be informed by 7:00 pm on the previous day of tour.
- If this program is cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances, like bad weather, full refund will be made. There will be no additional cost for changes made to programmes.
- This program could be modified based on the weather conditions even after the commencement of the tour. Please be aware that there will be no refund to be made in such circumstances.
Please see Cancellation Fee as below in case of last minute cancellations:
- For cancellation 2-7 days before the trip – 30% of Trip Price
- For cancellation on the day before the trip – 50% of Trip Price
- For cancellation on the day of the trip or without notice – 100% of Trip Price
*Cancellations after 7pm will be deemed to be a cancellation on the next day.
Price per person
|Group of 2||18000JPY|
|Group of 3||15000JPY|
|Group of 4||13500JPY|
|Group of 5||12000JPY|
|Group of 6||11000JPY|
- Guiding fee
Youkaichi Station in Shiga or Misato station in Mie