• Trip duration
    4 days
  • Trip level
    Sustained
  • Max people per guide
    -
  • Mountain range
    Andes
  • Best period
    May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct

Description

At 6034 m, Tocllaraju is one of the many peaks over 6000 meters in the Cordillera Blanca, in Peru.

This mountain lies on the north-east of the city of Huaraz, on Ishinca Valley. It has a beautiful pyramid shape, surrounded by glaciers and steep faces.

In this 4-day trip we’re climbing Tocllaraju through the normal route, that goes up on the south ridge.

From the summit, we’ll have an amazing view of the deep valleys of Callejon de Huaylas and Conchucos, as well as the snowy peaks of the Cordillera Blanca.

Tocllaraju is very popular among climbers in this area. However, it’s a difficult peak to climb which requires some experience.

For further information about this trip, you can find the complete program below.

Please feel free to contact me if you want to climb this Peruvian mountain. I’m from Huaraz, at the foot of the Cordillera Blanca, so I know this place quite well. 

I also organize other trips around here, like ascenting Nevado Ishinca (5530 m) and climbing the South Summit of Huascaran, the highest peak in Peru.

Itinerary

Day 1

Huaraz / Pashpa village / Ishinca base camp

-Driving time: 2 hours -Walk time: 4 hours (walk up).

Departure from Huaraz at 8:00 am, towards the north side of Callejon de Huaylas until Paltay town.

From this place we will turn to the east until Pashpa village at 3600 m. There we will meet with our donkey driver, who is going to load our climbing gear until base camp at 4350 m, where is located our camping spot.

Overnight camp at Ishinca base camp.

Day 2

Ishinca base camp / Tocllaraju moraine camp

-Climbing time: 4 hours (climb up).

This day after our breakfast we will prepare our climb gear, then we will climb up 4 hours until our next camp site at moraine.

In the afternoon we will enjoy amazing sunset.

Overnight camp at moraine camp.

Day 3

Tocllaraju moraine camp / Tocllaraju summit / Ishinca base camp

Climbing time: 14 hours (ascent & descent).

This day starts very early, at 1:00 am. We will have breakfast and then begin to climb up towards the summit.

After 6 hours ascending we will reach the summit of mount Tocllaraju at 6034 m.

On the top we will enjoy amazing sunrise and astonishing mountains view as: Palcaraju mountain, Ranrapalca mountain, Ocshapalca mountain, Akilpo mountain and other peaks.

Then we descent on the same ascent route until moraine, finally we will descent until base camp.

Last night camp at Ishinca base camp.

Day 4

Ishinca base camp / Pashpa village / Huaraz

-Driving time: 2 hours -Walk time: 4 hours (walk down).

After our breakfast we will pick up our climbing gear.

Then, we will walk down along Ishinca valley until Cochapampa, where our private transport is waiting us to back Huaraz. End of our expedition.

Price per person

Price includes

  • Guiding fee
  • Accommodation
  • All meals during trip
  • Transport during the trip
  • Luggage transfer during the trip
  • Group equipment
  • Porters

Other details

Meeting point

Huaraz.

Accommodation

Camping (double sleeping tent).

More info

About the food:
-We'll have a cook specialized in normal and vegetarian dishes.
-Meals contain enough carbohydrate to recover the lost energy during the trek (omelet, soup, fresh fruit, meats, pasta, raze, hot drinks, coca tea, which is ideal for altitude sickness).

This items are not included in the price:
- Climbing permits to Huascaran national park 65.00 soles.
- Sleeping bag (adequate -15° C).

Recommendations:
- You should do an early booking to get special discounts.
- For booking validation you should deposit a 40% of total price, and pay the rest 60% when you arrive to Peru or Huaraz.
- Prices can change according to the booking time and the number of participants, so pleas contact me for more information.

Personal climbing guear:
- Climbing boots.
- Polar Tec or wool gloves.
- Sun hat.
- Polar Tec or wool cap.
- Sun glasses UV protection.
- A back pack between 40 l to 70 l.
- Light weight Waterproof jacket Gore-Tex.
- Light weight Waterproof pants Gore-Tex.
- Water bottle.
- Sun cream.
- Headlamp.
- Personal first aid kid.
- Hiking poles.
- Overcoat clothes.
- A camera.
- Sleeping bag -15° C.
- Personal toilets and small synthetic towel.
- Sandals.