If you are planning going to Costa Rica, you cannot miss this high experience at 3800 meters, very close to the sky itself… Mount Uran and Mount Chirripo !
Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Nov, Dec
This is probably the most beautiful mountainous route of the central mountain range of Costa Rica, where both Cerro Uran (3600 m) and Cerro Chirripó (3820 m) stand tall. On this program, we will visit these beautiful peaks and we will also pass through Paso de Los Indio’s, where once, as also today, the indigenous people from the Caribbean coast cross to the general valley to exchange goods.
Early in the morning, we will begin the first ascent to Cerro Uran. After a short rest, we will continue our walk and reach the highest point in Costa Rica, Cerro Chirripó. If the weather permits, we will enjoy spectacular views from the top.
To carry out this tour, you must hire the service of a Local Guide from the Herradura community. Groups cannot exceed 7 members. We always start by arriving at the community of Herradura on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays because of the National Park Permit which only allows entry on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays.
Contact me today to plan your adventure!
3:00 pm maximum time of arrival at the administrative office of the National Park in San Gerardo de Rivas for the
corresponding entry registration to the National Park.
3:30 pm registration of lodging at Base Crestones shelter in CRC Chirripo.
5:00 pm check-in and luggage organization at Reserva Rio Blanco.
6:30 pm, dinner, and subsequent talk by the Guide in charge of the group.
ON Reserva Rio Blanco (D)
4:00 am, breakfast at Reserva Rio Blanco.
5:00 am, transportation by car to the starting point of the walk.
5:30 am, start of the walk at 1700 meters above sea level to the Paso de los Indio’s shelter at 3330 meters above
sea level. Approximate time of arrival at Paso de los Indio’s, between 1:00 and 2:00 pm.
5:00 – 6:00 recommended time for dinner preparation.
Hiking Distance 12 Km, Approximate Time 8 hours
ON Paso de los Indios Hut. (B,L)
3:00 am, breakfast preparation.
4:00 am, start of the walk (the Guide will be able to define if it is advisable to start the walk even earlier or delay
it depending on the weather conditions and the condition of the walkers)
7:00 am, Approximate arrival at the summit of Cerro Urán, 3660 meters above sea level, a space of 30 minutes to
an hour is established to be at the site and resume the walk to the summit of Chirripó.
12:00 md – 1:00 pm, arrival at the summit of Chirripó at 3820 meters above sea level.
3:00 – 4:00 pm, approximate time of arrival at the Base Crestones lodge at 3400 meters above sea level.
6:00 – 7:00 pm, Diner.
Hiking Distancia 17 Km, Approximate time 11 hours
5:30 am, breakfast.
6:30 am, start of the descent to San Gerardo.
12:00 noon, arrival in San Gerardo where a transport waits to return to Río Blanco Reserve
1:30 pm, lunch.
1 night in Reserva Rio Blanco, 1 night at the Paso de los Indios Hut, 1 night in the Refugio Base Crestones.
150 USD per person for the national park fee are non-refundable,
• Due to the physical effort required to carry out this tour, it is not recommended for pregnant women or people with severe obesity, asthma, diabetes, or hypertension problems. • This tour is classified as of a high level, physically very demanding, we recommend that people who do it prepare adequately by doing as many previous walks and physical activity as possible. • For the Guide in charge, the first priority is the safety of the people, if necessary, the guide will assess the possibility of aborting the trip due to adverse weather issues, accidents, emergencies of a natural or institutional nature (for example, forest fires or natural phenomena), health problems of one or more members of the group, poor physical preparation of one or more members of the group, any special situation that prevents one or more members of a group from continuing. In the event of a situation such as the aforementioned and not being able to make the full route of the route, the Guide will value the complete return of the group to Herradura de Rivas, never partial, without this implying the reimbursement of any money paid for the tour.
We will meet in San Gerardo de Rivas at the national Park Office at 03:00 PM.
IFMGA / UIAGM Mountain guide
I was born in Admont, a small town in Styria in Austria, in the center of the Austrian mountains. After my school, I studied motor vehicle mechanic. Beside my hobbies (skiing, nordic ski, running and soccer) mountain climbing was a very important part of my free time activities.
There are experiences in our life we will never forget. When I was 10 years old, my dad took me one day to a local mountain tour. We were climbing over a local and very famous waterfall. I was so impressed about this experience that my interest for mountain climbing was awake forever. After that, I started to take climbing courses with various alpine associations.
Later, I used to climb repeatedly very famous mountains like the “Rosskupenkante”, the north wall of “Perternschartenkopf”, the north wall of “Dachl” and the north wall of “Rosskupen”. My first foreign experience was in Croatia in “Velebit” and in Italy, in the Dolomites, where I did several tours there. Now, since 22 years, I work as a professional mountain and ski guide all over the world.
I guided successfully more than 30 expeditions and more than 50 trekking tours. I give climbing and ice courses to students; children adventure weeks, firm events, canyoning and rafting tours, and much more. Here are some of the peaks I climbed these last years: Alpamayo, Toclaraju, Huascaran, Cotopaxi, Cimborazo, Iztaccihuatl, Pico de Orizaba, Aconcagua, Denali, Pic Lenin, Gasabrum II, etc.
My philosophy: Go outdoor and explore the beautiful magic of the nature, to experience and to enjoy unique moments! It can be in the Alps or on top of the highest mountains of the world or in the nature paradise of Costa Rica (where I live now for the last 13 years). Come with me and let’s carry out together a great adventure!
Join an existing group and pay much less
Aug 13, 2022 - Aug 16, 2022
USD 892 per traveller
The Tour with Armin to the peaks of Uran and Chirripo was quite unique. A wonderful experience that I will never forget. The view from Uran and Chirripo was fantastic and made you forget all the efforts needed for the ascent. If you like the mountains and hiking, you will love it. Armin is a perfect tour guide. He has a lot of experience and many interesting stories. Armin was always there, when I needed help. The communication and organization was also really good. All in all, I can definitely recommend the tour with Armin.
We spent three incredible days on the trail with Armin trekking to the summit of Cerro Chirrippo. His knowledge of the ecosystems we traversed provided our group great insight into the fauna, birds and animals of Costa Rica. Along the trail, conversation was easy given his many experiences throughout the world. The weather was perfect throughout the trip. The hut was more than adequate and the food was authentic Costa Rican. I would highly recommend any trip with Armin and we look forward to some type of adventure in the future.
We made a self planned trip to Chile and Argentina to climb Volcan San Jose and Aconcagua. While we are fairly experienced climbers and mountaineers at lower elevations we had Armin as our guide for Aconcagua. He was our insurance for our lack of high altitude experience and organizer with the local support agency. It was a very nice experience. Armin for the most part let us run around on our own as we wanted and only reigned us in when he thought it appropriate. When he forced us to make a rest day in camp at about 5500m altitude to improve our acclimation we were not happy because we thought we were strong and wanted to continue. The photos of our faces in camp that rest day and the fact that I barely remember the day as I was falling asleep all the time tells me that he was very right and we needed rest. He did exactly what we wanted from him; protect us from our own enthusiasm and inexperience. Two days later we all reached the summit. It never felt like having a guide that was calling the shots but like traveling, trekking, and climbing with a very experienced friend. Thanks Armin, "pura vida"!
Group of 1
|USD 1248 Each|
Group of 2
|USD 1031 Each|
Group of 3
|USD 892 Each|
Group of 4
|USD 769 Each|
Group of 5
|USD 655 Each|
Want a different number of travellers?
- Guiding fee
- Accommodation included
- Permit and entrance fees
• Accommodation for the first night at Reserva Rio Blanco with dinner and breakfast.
• Transportation to the starting point of the walk.
• Snack for the first day of the Walk.
• Admission to the National Park for 3 days.
• Rights of the way through private farms.
• Lodging for the second night in a shelter in Paso de Los Indio’s.
▪ Meals at Paso de Los Indio’s shelter.
• Lodging for the third night at the Base Crestones shelter, for this night two blankets are included.
• An empanada and hot drink, Dinner on day 3, and breakfast on day 4 at the Base Crestones shelter.
• Certified 1 or 2 local guides throughout the journey
• Transportation from San Gerardo to Herradura on the last day and lunch the day of return at Reserva Rio Blanco.
• Organization and Reservation for the Entrance at the Chirripo National Park
▪ Transportation from the Hotel in San Jose – San Gerardo de Rivas and back after the Trek from San Gerardo de
Rivas to San Jose,
▪ Sleeping bag. Necessary for the second night at the Paso de Los Indio’s shelter (They can be rented in the Rio Blanco Reserve).
▪ Porters for personal luggage. Although this service is optional, it is highly recommended by the technical level of the route. If this service is required by the client, the cost is $ 220 or its equivalent in colones for each Porter hired for two working days, for the distances to travel and the safety of the Porters there are no one-day options for this service. Each Porter carries 12 kilos maximum. The service is authorized and issued by the SINAC to be developed the first day until Paso de Los Indio’s and the second day back to Herradura with equipment, it is not necessary to continue to Crestones Base. It is not authorized for the Porters to transit from Paso de Los Indio’s to Crestones Base.
▪ Porter Service is also available, if required by the participants, to send clothes up to Base Crestones for the third Day or/and back down on the fourth day. Per kilo, the cost is around $ 5,-.
150 USD per person for the national park fee is non-refundable.
Cerro Chirripo guided ascent in 4 days
Cerro Uran Ascent in the Chirripó National Park
12-day Trek from the Pacific coast to the top of Mount Chirripó, the highest point in Costa Rica
2-week hiking and multi-adventure trip in Costa Rica
4-day Hiking tour in the Chirripo National Park in Costa Rica, from San Gerardo de Rivas
Hike to the top of Mount Chirripó in Costa Rica (Chirripó National Park), 3 days
Stay up-to-date on the best adventures.