Join me for a fantastic ski touring trip in the Troll Peninsula!
This area is ideal for ski touring. It has a rich variety of slopes and there are mountains for all levels, whether you are looking forward to open wide slopes or have fun in some steep couloirs. Come and explore some of the peaks and valleys in the area! And I’m not telling you to explore all of them because the possibilities are endless here!
Our base during this trip will be the comfortable and luxurious Karlsá Lodge, with a Sauna and an ocean view hot tub. Not to mention, the delicious local gourmet cuisine, made by the in-house chef with fresh local ingredients.
And each skiing day will end pleasurably in a geothermal bath of the region. There are plenty of them! It will be the perfect moment to give our feet a well deserved rest, and enjoy the local life. Indeed, we will be sharing this moment with local fishermen and farmers.
Some highlights of the trips are the following:
– You have the unique opportunity to ski at night time with daylight: the Midnight sun is there!
– You can ski from the mountain down until the ocean
– The deep immersion in the local culture, with the delicious cuisine
I propose you a 5-day program, with 4 full ski touring days. We can also do it as a ski touring week, in 7 days. Let me know if you prefer it and I will make the changes.
If this fantastic adventure in the Troll Peninsula catches your attention, please get in touch with me. I will guide you here with much pleasure and share with you my secret spots of the island. There are many reasons why ski touring in Iceland is unique, and in my program of ski touring from a sailboat in Iceland you can see it from a different perspective.
Late in the afternoon we meet at Akureyri, northern Iceland’s capital. Then a 45 min ride takes us to the Country Lodge. There we will have a meet and greet. We will talk about the plans for the following days and enjoy a delicious welcome dinner.
Avalanche training and ski touring
Today is the first skiing day. We dedicate the morning to avalanche rescue and avalanche transceiver training. Then we tackle our first peak. On average, the altitude change will be around 1000-1800 m each day, but this depends on the group. We can always keep going since the arrival of the night is not a reason to stop. The midnight sun accompanies us, touching the ocean just to rise back again.
Today we ski the peaks that are above Dalvik, a small fishing village. Being here will allow us to enjoy the geothermal baths while admiring the traces we left on the surrounding slopes.
The day of discovering the hidden corners has arrived. I know the Troll Peninsula as the back of my hand, so I will take you to a “secret cirque”. It’s there just for us, we won’t find anyone else! In each trip I take clients to different places, often ones where even I have never been before.
Last ski touring day
Again an amazing ski touring day, trust me, I saved the best for last! You will have to come here in order to discover what I’m talking about. In the end of the day we will say goodbye.
Looking to join a group?
|07/03/2018 to 11/03/2018|
Price per person
- Guiding fee
- All meals during trip
- Transport to the start of the trip
- Transport during the trip
- Group equipment
- Permit and entrance fees
At Akureyri, the capital of northern Iceland.
Accommodation in double, triple and dorm style rooms with shared bathrooms for 4 nights.
- Please have your ski boots in carry on baggage during your flights to Iceland. If your skis get temporarily lost I can provide excellent rental gear. I offer some equipment for rent, please contact me for information and availability.
- Equipment: wind and waterproof shell jacket, wind and waterproof pants, base layer, ski pants, jacket (soft shell, fleece), light down or fiber jacket, hat, gloves, ski socks, backpack 30-40L (with ski attachments), thermos or water bottle (1-2 L), sunglasses, ski goggles, sun and lip cream, ski touring skis, telemark or split board, skins and ski crampons (ski crampons are not optional!), ski poles, avalanche transceiver, probe and shovel, bathing suit, small first aid kit, camera.