Sounkyo Ice Climbing.
I’d like to introduce ice climbing in Hokkaido, in Japan, and show you that Hokkaido is not all about skiing! I will take you to Daisetsuzan area for 2 days, which is the best known ice climbing area in Hokkaido, with more than 10 large scale waterfalls. The scenic gorges have a lot of both ice and mixed routes.
This course is more for beginners or those with some prior experience.
Beginner / Intermediate – You will need to have had a prior summer rock climbing experience, as you would need to know how to belay someone. You need to be fit enough to walk the 30min approach, and be comfortable crossing a section of water with water level lower than knee height in wellington boots (available for rent if feet size in between 25-27cm at JPY 1,000 per pair) or on bare foot.
Beginners to ice climbing are very welcome!
Day 1: From Sapporo, we will drive to Sounkyo valley (140km, 3hrs), located within Daisetsuzan National Park. We will head to “Ginga no taki” (Waterfall of Galaxy) for ice climbing (120m, WI3*, 4 pitches). Overnight stay at an accommodation with onsen.
Day 2: Visit the “Kinshi no taki” (Waterfall of Tinsel) for ice climbing (100m, WI3/4*, 3 pitches). A relaxing dip in an onsen before driving back to Sapporo. Estimated time of return is around 6pm.
*Ice Climbing Grades:
WI3 – generally sustained in the 60-70 degree range with occasional near-vertical steps up to 4 metres
WI4 – near-vertical steps of up to 10 metres, generally sustained climbing requiring placing protection screws from strenuous stances
If you’re after a more challenging course then please have a look at my ice climbing programme for more experienced / advanced ice climbers.
1 person – JPY 90,000 per person
2 people – JPY 60,000 per person
Included in Price:-
Excluded from Price:-
Accommodation (around JPY 10,000 per person)
Climate: Temperature in this area ranges from -8 to -15c. The waterfall is in a valley so it is not affected by the wind. Prepare yourself with layers of warm clothes!
|– Crampon compatible Mountaineering boots|
– Technical ice axes
– CramponsItems such as ice axes, harness, helmet, and crampons can be rented at JPY 2,000 each (rental of ice axes are JPY 4,000 for the 2 days). Other ice climbing gears such as ice screws, quick draws etc. will be provided.
- Deposit amount – 30% of Trip Price
- Reservation opens 6 months prior to the trip date. Please reserve well in advance -– Booking request under 1 month is usually not possible.
- Full payment needs to be made at least 1 month in advance
- In case of bad weather / conditions (including road conditions), the trip itinerary may be altered and/or date change can be discussed.
- Riding on the guide’s car is considered as ride sharing and thus will only covered under normal car insurance. The guide’s responsibility and liability is only applicable from the departure from the start of the approach path until our return to the same point.
- Please make sure all participants are individual insured appropriately with international travel insurance which specifically covers ice climbing.
- For any injuries in the mountains, the guide will not be liable and will need to be paid by your own means.
I ask for a payment of Cancellation Fees (CF) in case of last minute cancellations as per below:
- For cancellation between 30-60 days prior to the trip date – CF is 50% of Trip Price
- For cancellation between 7-30 days prior to the trip date – CF is70% of Trip Price
- For cancellation up to 7 days prior to the trip date – CF is 100% of Trip Price
Price per person
|Group of 2||60000JPY|
- Guiding fee
Hotel with onsen