Explore and challenge yourself with Ice Climbing in Raiden!
If you’re an experienced ice climber, why not join me for ice climbing in a unique location that is Raiden by the coast in Hokkaido! It is close to Niseko and you will find out that this region is not all about powder skiing!
This scenic ice climbing area faces the sea of Japan and gives access to about a half dozen 100m-class waterfalls!
AVAILABLE PERIOD: February
REQUIRED LEVELS: It is a course for intermediate / advanced ice climbers, and thus a prior experience is necessary, as well as enough fitness to hike up and trail break in snow shoes for 45min.
Day 1: From Sapporo, we will drive to town of Iwanai (80km, 2hrs). We will head to “Runze II” (no. 2 gully) for ice climbing (70m, WI5*, 2 pitches). Overnight stay at a traditional onsen ryokan.
Day 2: Visit “Runze I” (no.1 gully) or “Runze IV” (no. 4 gully) for ice climbing (100m, WI5, 2 pitches). A relaxing dip in an onsen before driving back to Sapporo. Estimated time of return is around 6pm.
*Ice Climbing Grades:
WI5 – near-vertical or vertical steps of up to 20 metres, sustained climbing requiring placing multiple protection screws from strenuous stances with few good rests
If you don’t think you have enough experience or fitness and you’d like to try something not as strenuous then have a look at my ice climbing programme for beginner / intermediates.
1 person – JPY 100,000 per person
2 people – JPY 70,000 per person
Included in Price:-
Excluded from Price:-
Accommodation (around JPY 10,000 per person)
CLIMATE: Given its low altitude, it is not as cold as Sounkyo in Daisetsuzan area but is still cold at around -5 to 8c. The wind, however, could be very strong due to the fact that it is located by the sea. Layers of warm clothes are necessary!
|– Crampon compatible Mountaineering boots|
– Technical ice axes
– CramponsI can lend you items such as ice axes, harness, helmet, and crampons at JPY 2,000 each. Other ice climbing gears such as ice screws, quick draws etc. will be provided.
- Deposit amount – 30% of Trip Price
- Reservation opens 6 months prior to the trip date. Please reserve well in advance – Booking request under 1 month is usually not possible.
- Full payment needs to be made at least 1 month in advance
- In case of bad weather / conditions (including road conditions), the trip itinerary may be altered and/or date change can be discussed.
- Riding on the guide’s car is considered as ride sharing and thus will only covered under normal car insurance. The guide’s responsibility and liability is only applicable from the departure from the start of the approach path until our return to the same point.
- Please make sure all participants are individual insured appropriately with international travel insurance. My insurance will only cover up to JPY 1,000,000 upon death and a compensation of JPY 1,000 per day in case of hospitalisation.
- For any injuries in the mountains, the guide will not be liable and will need to be paid by your own means.
I ask for a payment of Cancellation Fees (CF) in case of last minute cancellations as per below:
- For cancellation between 30-60 days prior to the trip date – CF is 50% of Trip Price
- For cancellation between 7-30 days prior to the trip date – CF is70% of Trip Price
- For cancellation up to 7 days pror to the trip date – CF is 100% of Trip Price
Price per person
|Group of 2||70000JPY|
- Guiding fee