Christophe, a Belgian certified rock climbing instructor, guides you through the challenging via ferrata in Landelies, close to Charleroi in Belgium.
Join me for a great half day of via ferrata in Landelies, near Charleroi in Wallonia (Belgium). We will be at the Hainaut province, by the beautiful Sambre river. This site with views of the Sambre river is at the heart of a bucolic environment.
This is technical and varied route. It includes technical vertical sections as well as a narrow chimney part. Besides, there are vertiginous traverses and a long zip line. To finish off, an exciting abseiling descent! The level of the via ferrata is sustained, so you need to have experience and to be fit. But although it’s sustained I wouldn’t say that it’s extreme, so if you are in doubt please ask me!
For this rather technical itinerary, it is an advantage to have a strong upper body. It is not necessary to be in great physical shape in general, but as we will hang from our arms at times, upper body strength is important.
If you want, we can combine it with some rock climbing (easy – moderate). And if you also want to learn some rescue techniques we can talk about spending a full day.
I particularly like via ferrata in Landelies because:
– It’s the hardest via ferrata in Belgium
– It’s possible to combine it with some easy rock climbing
– The access and parking are easy.
Do you want to try the challenging routes in Landelies? Then don’t hesitate to send me a request to book this trip! It will be my pleasure to take you there.
If you are fast and if you still have energy after doing the via ferrata, we can do some abseiling and/or an initiation to rock climbing.
There are hotels, lodges and campings nearby.
If I'm not available, you will be guided by another certified Belgian climbing instructor.
- If conditions are favorable, we can also practice via ferrata during the rest of the year. - Try to book at least 5 days before climbing days. - I'll take maximum of 4-5 participants with me (depending on the program and your level). If you don't have experience/are not very fit, 4 is the maximum. If you have experience and a fit upper body, up to 5 people are possible. - If you come with a larger group, I'll be coming with another rock climbing instructor. - Equipment: good trekking shoes, warm clothes and rain jacket (depending on the forecast), picnic, water, ID card, and your own technical material if you have it (if not, you can rent it with me).
Parking at the foot of the rocks.
I discovered the mountain with my parents at a young age thanks to hiking and alpine skiing. Around 12 years old, I started climbing, and it rapidly became a real passion, allowing me to live moments of intense adventure and escape. I dedicated most of my free time to it, which allowed me to reach a good level fast.
The Wallonie rocks, and particularly Freyr, are a great school to train for walls abroad like the large walls in Verdon, the Calanques and Chamonix. My passion took me then to alpinism, ski touring, ice climbing, canyoning. After my studies, I took 2 long initiating travels to Latin America, traveling the Andes range from Ecuador to Patagonia, by foot and cycling, down the Southern route. This exceptional experience woke up a new passion in me: traveling, discovering large spaces, different cultures and civilisations, to meet others and to get to know myself.
After sharing this passion with my friends and family, I discovered the urge to make of it a real profession. I started studying to become a climbing and alpinism instructor (UPMM certification). My studies in Physical Education and Physiotherapy gave me extra knowledge of physiology, pedagogy and traumatology.
I supervised my first climbing and alpinism trainings in the Club Alpin Belge. I then became a teacher at the CAB - a Federation for many educations destined for members, future instructors and physical education teachers. I was hired at the Federation-CAB as an education coordinator in 2003, then technical director in 2005. The 7 years spent at the CAB strengthened my technical, pedagogical and management abilities. In 2011, I decided to change my orientation and return to the "field", working again in the organisation of trainings, trips, expeditions...
My motto: professionalism, friendliness and above all pleasure!
Have any doubts? Talk directly with an Explore Share assistant.
The Concierge service is a great tool for when you still haven't decided what kind of Adventure you're looking for and you're open to suggestions
Group of 1
|EUR 250 each|
Group of 2
|EUR 125 each|
Group of 3
|EUR 92 each|
Group of 4
|EUR 76 each|
Group of 5
|EUR 65 each|
Group of 6
|EUR 58 each|
Group of 7
|EUR 54 each|
Group of 8
|EUR 50 each|
Want a different number of travellers?
• Guiding fee
• Departures are only possible on weekdays. If you want to go during the weekend, it's possible if we combine it with rock climbing in the area the rest of the day. If you are not a member of an alpine club, you will have to pay the access to the rock (12€ for adults, 6€ under 18 years old). Equipment rental is 5€ per person (harness, helmet, quickdraws, rope, belaying device, via ferrata set).
Christophe was an excellent guide! He choose a climbing spot that suited our group perfectly and was very helpful in teaching us how to climb.