People per Guide
Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep
Type of Trip
Mount Kazbek (5047 m) is a dormant stratovolcano in Georgia, near the border with Russia. It is actually the third highest mountain in the country and one of the tallest of the Caucasus.
You can have a direct view of its summit from the town of Stepantsminda.
This time, I propose a nice 6-day climbing trip to Mount Kazbek to my friends and clients.
However, the itinerary can be adapted depending on the time you have, what you wish to do and your physical and technical level.
During the ascent and its preparation, I will train you on rope techniques, walking on glacier with crampons and how to use the necessary equipment.
For further information about this trip, you can find the day-to-day program below (this is a sample itinerary and it is subject to change).
Please contact me if you need more information about this guided tour up to the summit of Mount Kazbek. It will be my pleasure to guide you there and let you discover this majestic mountain of the Caucasus range.
If I’m not available to guide you, one of my 3 teammates, all of them GMGA mountain guides, will be happy to do so.
On the other hand, if you travel to Georgia during winter, you can check this fantastic ski touring trip.
Price per person
- Guiding fee
- All meals during trip
- Transport to the start of the trip
- Transport during the trip
What happens if I need to cancel the trip?
If you decide to cancel, you’ll get a 100% refund (minus fees) if the cancellation is notified up to 60 days before the start of the tour, a 75% refund (minus fees) if you cancel between 59 and 30 days before the start of the tour, and a 50% refund if you cancel between 29 and 21 days before the start of the tour. If you cancel less than 21 days before the first day of the tour, you won’t receive a refund. Take into account, however, that if accommodation, flights or transfers were included in the trip you booked, then a different policy may apply as the guide will be bound by the provider’s cancellation policy.
What happens if the guide cancels the trip because of bad weather/unsuitable conditions?
If bad weather or unsuitable conditions force the guide to cancel the trip, he or she will: a) propose a similar activity at a different place where conditions are better, or b) propose to postpone the activity until a later date, or c) cancel. If you refuse option a), our cancellation policy will apply. Please note, however, that the call to cancel a trip due to bad weather can only be made by the guide (not the client).
What happens if the guide doesn’t show up or cancels for personal reasons?
If the guide cancels for reason of injury or other, you will get a 100% refund on your trip.
Tbilisi airport / Stepantsminda
Arrival. Transfer from Tbilisi airport to Stepantsminda, (1700m)
– 3 hour
– Night in a guesthouse.
Drive to church Trinity with 4X4 jeep (2100m), walk to Betlemi hut, at 3700 m.
– 6-8 hour
–Night in Betlemi mountain hut
Acclimatization hike / Betlemi hut
Acclimatization hike to Church (2.5hrs at 400m). If you are very fit and you want to we can go to Mt. Orcveri (4200m) this is a 6 hours hike.
– Night in Betlemi mountain hut
Mount Kazbek summit / Bletemi hut
Summit day, (5047m)
– 8-10 hour.
– Night in Betlemi Hut
- Day 5: Reserve day in case of bad weather.
- Day 6: Walk down to Stepantsminda and transfer to Tbilisi
- Technical equipment you need : Crampons (classical ones, not for ice climbing), Harness, 2 carabiners, 1 Sling (120 cm) and an ice axe (Classical light mountaineering, not for sport ice climbing). I can provide this for 2 persons. If you are more than 2, either you bring it yourself, either you rent it here but I need to know it in advance in order to ask the shop to reserve it for you.
- I can lend you most of the equipment.
- You need mountaineering shoes which fit with crampons .
- On the way up horses will carry the food and, if there is extra space, they can carry some of your luggage. If you want horses to carry your luggage down this will cost extra.
- If I am busy you'll join one of my teammates, all of them local certified guides.
About the Guide
I'm from Tbilisi in Georgia. I'm a fully certified IFMGA / UIAGM mountain guide. I have the GMGA (Georgian Mountain Guides Association) certificate.
I'm a professional mountaineer, national team member of Georgian Mountain Federation. I am actively climbing in the Caucasus mountain range.
The most programs I guide are:
- Mountaineering = Mt. Kazbek, Mt. Tetnuldi, Mt. Ushba, Chaukhi region.
- Ski Touring = Gudauri, Svaneti, Kazbegi regions.
I also manage large expeditions and base camps for Caucasus Mountains.
Please get in touch with me if you plan to come in Georgia. It will be my great pleasure to help you and to guide you in our awesome mountains.
What People Say about this Trip
Join our Newsletter
Stay up-to-date on the best adventures!