Mount Tanigawa (1,977m) is a rocky rugged mountain in the top 100 famous mountains in Japan.
It is not a mountain for novices. It sits in a location influenced by weather systems of both the Pacific ocean and the sea of Japan, and it often results in extreme weathers.
I have travelled and climbed mountains around the world but Tanigawadake remains the mountain I love and climb the most, and would like to share the experience with you!
For this programme, you can learn basic winter mountaineering skills as well.
- You can access it in about 100 minutes from central Tokyo.
- Despite it’s 2,000m height, because of its location and weather conditions, it offers a package of activities that a 3,000m+ mountains would. For example, backcountry skiing, rock climbing, alpinism, or trekking, but with much better access and approach!
- Tanigawadake is buried in deep powdery snow a lot of the times. Tenjindaira ski resort close by can be open until beginning of May!
- There are a few variation in routes, from casual hiking trails with gondola access, to more technical routes for the experienced with proper gears.
- It is one of the top 3 big wall rock climbing meccas of Japan, along with Mt Tsurugi and Mt Hodaka in the Northern Japanese Alps.
- You can enjoy an abundance of flora in the summer!
It takes one day to ascend it, around 5 hours, and I offer this winter climbing trip in April and May.
Please get in touch with me if you plan to come in the area of Gunma or Niigata. It will be my pleasure to guide you up there and spend a beautiful day up in the mountains with you.
Price per person
|Group of 2||12000JPY|
|Group of 3||12000JPY|
|Group of 4||12000JPY|
|Group of 5||12000JPY|
- Guiding fee
7:30am at a lodge in Minakami where you can stay before and/or after the ascent.
I can arrange accommodation for you as well, from basic accommodation to hot spring / onsen ryokans in the nearby towns for before and/or after the day trip!
You need to pay for your own return ropeway cost of JPY 2,060
Please contact if you need to rent any of the equipment.