Join me on an exciting backcountry ski expedition in Teshiodake, a Japanese peak inside Teshiodake Prefectural Natural Park, in central Hokkaido.
This part of Hokkaido is blessed with best quality as well as top quantity of snow in Japan. So prepare yourself for some great skiing in untracked runs!
Some highlights of this ski expedition
- Being in a remote area, deep into the mountains. While ski areas nearby are more and more populated with backcountry skiers, this area is still uncrowded. In fact, we’ll only get the chance of being there because we’ll set up a tent base camp near the foot of Mt Teshiodake.
- Enjoying ski or snowboard descents in open powder slopes with no other people in sight, leaving your undisturbed tracks on the white canvass.
- The vertical descent from the summit of Mt Teshiodake is 700 m and you can ski/snowboard all the way down!
- There are also powder tree runs to diversify your backcountry experience.
- At the end of each day, you’ll be able to spend some special time with your friends and other members of the group in a cozy tent setting.
Required technical and fitness level
- Proficient in skinning. Being able to use ski crampons.
- Be able to ski an ungroomed steep slope of 40 degrees in a safe and stable manner.
- Have an experience in camping or have an interest in it.
- Be able to hike up 3-4 hours per day whilst carrying a day pack full of day gears.
- Be able to walk on hiking routes for 2 hours with 20-25kg backpack with camping gears.
- Have sufficient experience in backcountry skiing or snowboarding as well as being in winter snow mountains.
I propose to adapt this trip according to your wishes and requirements. So please let me know how many days you have available, if there are specific areas you’d like to ski in and if you have any objectives in mind or peaks you’d like to ski from.
Are you ready for a great adventure in the mountains of Hokkaido? Get in touch with me to start planning this backcountry ski expedition in Teshiodake! If you need some extra inspiration, you can read about the recent experience of a group of clients and a member of the Explore-Share team.
Besides, you can combine this ski expedition with some other programmes in this area. You can check this powder ski touring trip in Asahikawa and Furano, join me for a powder hunting trip in Hokkaido or for a ski touring trip in Harukayama.
Shinchitose Airport - Teshiodake base camp
Meet at Shinchitose Airport and drive to mountain trail entrance. Hike to Base Camp (BC) at approximate altitude 663 m and set up tents. 2 hours activity.
Summit Mt Teshiodake (1558 m)
Depart BC to head to the summit of Mt Teshiodake (1558 m). Ski descent of south east face and back to BC via Ichinosawa.
7 hours activity hours.
Take day sack, avalanche safety gears (beacon, shovel, probe), water, snacks, emergency kit etc.
Backcountry skiing day
Depart BC and enjoy backcountry skiing in the area for whole day. 7 hours activity hours.
Return to Shinchitose Airport
Backcountry skiing in areas near the BC in the morning. Clean and disassemble BC at around 11 am to head back.
Enjoy and cleanse ourselves at an Onsen on the way back.
Drive you back to Shinchitose Airport by around 6 pm.
Price per person
|Group of 3||100000JPY|
|Group of 4||100000JPY|
|Group of 5||100000JPY|
|Group of 6||80000JPY|
|Group of 7||80000JPY|
|Group of 8||80000JPY|
- Guiding fee
- Half-board meals during trip
- Group equipment
Skill level required
Fitness level required
We will set up a base camp with tents that I will provide.
Climate: day light hours in Hokkaido during Jan - Feb is Sunrise at 6:30 / 7 am and Sunset at 4:30 / 5 pm.