Explore the unique Everest Region with this 21-day guided trekking program. Including views of the world's highest peaks, and the Sherpa culture up-close.
Mar, Apr, May, Sep, Oct, Nov
The Everest Region is known worldwide for the impressive Mount Everest, the highest peak on earth. In addition to that, this area in Nepal houses the world’s 14 highest peaks. Come along this 12-day trekking traverse, in which you will also get to know the unique Sherpa people and their culture in the mountains up-close.
To begin this 21-day Everest High Pass Trek, we will meet you at the Kathmandu International Airport, or at the Lukla domestic airport. Alternatively, you can also take a bus to Jiri, in case you would like to do a classic trekking program.
The two main trekking routes this expedition covers are the Gokyo route and the Everest Base Camp (EBC) route.
Some of the highlights for this program are:
The fantastic panoramic views from the airplane on the flight to Tenzing-Hillary from Lukla
Crossing over the Dudh Koshi River
Visiting the beautiful village of Namche Bazzar
Visiting the village of Thame, birthplace of Tenzing Norgay, the first person to climb Mt. Everest
Going by the Ngozumpa Glacier
Going across the Cho La Pass
A unique sunset at Kala Patthar
Visiting the famous village of Tengboche and it Buddhist culture
Have a look at the complete and detailed itinerary below.
All along this trekking itinerary you will experience unmatched views of some of the highest mountains in the world, like Mt. Thamserku, Kwangde Peak, Kusum Kangaru, Mt. Everest, and Lhotse.
The highest altitude reached will be 5,550 m. You will need an Intermediate trekking level, for a Moderate level of difficulty.
For this program, you will be guided by one of the GuideSource team of guide, with an IFMGA or International Mountain Leader certification. At GuideSource we pride ourselves in our over 35 years of operation, in which we never had fatal or serious accidents.
Ready for this Everest High Pass Trek, 21-day program? Request your booking soon! If you are interested in other trekking programs in this same area, check out this 22-day trek around the Mystical Kingsdom of Mustang.
- Guiding fee
- Flight to the start
- Transport during the trip
- Group porters
- Mountain guide expenses
Not included: bar bills (beer, coke, mineral water), personal clothings, personal insurance, rescue charge, unforeseen expenses, tips and donations
* Arrival in Kathmandu Tribhuvan International Airport * Meeting with a representative from Matterhorn Treks & Expedition at the Airport * Transfer to hotel * Briefing about the trip activities * Free time for the rest of the day * _Overnight at Hotel B/B_
* Sightseeing: visit to the main landmarks in Kathmandu, including World Heritage Sites: Durbar Square, the sacred Hindu temple of Pashupati Nath, the famous ‘Monkey Temple’ (Swayambhu Nath), and Buddhists shrine (Bouddha Nath) * Time for last minute shopping for personal items * Preparation for the next day * _Overnight at Hotel B/B_
* Early start – breakfast * Transfer to the domestic airport * Flight to Lukla – Duration: 40 minutes * Arrival to the Tenzing-Hillary Airport at Lukla * Meeting with the other crew members * Trek through the village of Lukla (2,800 m) * Arrival in Phakding (2,652 m) * Optional: taking a side trip to a nearby Monastery * _Overnight in lodge_ * _Trekking time: 3 hours_
* Trek over the Dudh Koshi River, with amazing views of Mt. Thamserku (6,608 m / 21,675 ft) * Arrival in Benkar village * Arrival in the entrance of Sagarmatha National Park at Monjo – (permits will be checked at this point) * Descent to Jorsale, the last village before Namche Bazaar * Arrival to the Hillary Suspension Bridge * Up hill climb towards Namche Bazzar * Stop at the Chautara to enjoy the view * Arrival in Namche Bazzar, the main gateway of the Khumbu region * _Overnight in lodge_ * _Trekking time: 5 to 6 hours_
* First scheduled acclimatization day – Different options available: * Day hike to Thame * Visit around Khunde * Relaxed exploration of Namche Bazaar * Side trip up to Khumjung: climb up to famous airstrip at Syangboche; and the famous Everest View Hotel and the Hillary School * Return to Namche Bazzar * _Overnight in lodge_
* Departure from Namche bazaar, past a check post * Arrival in the highest hydroelectric power station in the world * Ascent towards Thamo (3,820 m), and the Khari Gompa monastery * Climb up through a rhododendron forest to pasture lands in front of Thame (3,820 m) * _Overnight at lodge_ * _Trekking time: 5 hours_
* Trek towards Longden
* Departure from Longden towards Goyko (4,750 m), via the Renjo La Pass (5,360 m) * Trekking time: 8 hours * _Overnight at a teahouse with comfortable bedrooms at Gokyo_
* Full day for rest and acclimatization * If the weather is good, climb to Gokyo Ri (5,330 m) this day instead of the nexte one (if the weather is good) – best viewpoint in the Everest Region * Visit to two of the famous Gokyo six lakes: fourth (Thonak Tsho) and fifth (Ngozuma Tsho) * Optional: climb on a hill at the edge of the Lakes for unique views of Cho-Oyu, Gyachung Kang, Everest, Lhotse, Nuptse, and Makulu from the Scoundrel’s viewpoint * Views of the Cho Oyu Base Camp and the Ngazumpa glacier from the fifth lake. * Optional: (subject to interest and time) trek towards the sixth lake * Return to Gokyo * _Overnight at Gokyo_
* Climb out of Goyko to a ridge * Route through the Ngozumpa Glacier * Descent to Thaknak (4,750 m) * _Overnight at Thaknak_ * _Trekking time: 2 hours_
* Trek to the Cho La Pass, which includes a glacier traverse on its eastern side * Climb up continuously from Phedi * Trek through the side of a frozen lake while * Pass through some crevasses before reaching Dzongla (4,830 m) – complete view of Mt. Cholatse, Mt. Ama Dablam, and the Lobuche peak. * _Overnight at Dzongla_ * _Trekking time: 7 hours_
* Climb down from Dzongla * Arrival in Lobuche (4,940 m) * _Trekking time: 4 hours_
* Trek towards Gorak Shep, through the lateral moraine of the Khumbu Glacier – first view of the Kala Patthar, beneath beneath Mt. Pumori * Arrival in Gorak Shep * Ascent towards the Everest Base Camp through the Gorak Shep Lake * Suggested: visit Kala Patthar in the afternoon to view a unique sunset * Optional: hike to Kala Patthar for sunset * _Overnight at Gorak Shep_ * _Trekking time: 8 to 9 hours_
* Early start, with temperatures between -10 and -14 °C * Ascent to Kala Patthar (5,545 m) * Optional: participants who plan to visit the Everest Base Camp this day will need to start earlier * Return back to Gorak Shep for lunch * Descent to Lobuche (4,940 m) * _Overnight at Lobuche_ * _Trekking time: 6 hours_
* Trek to the Khumbu Glacier * Climb up Kongma La (5,535 m) * Visit to the pyramid shaped Italian Research Center (5,000 m) * Unique views of Cholatse, Pokalde, Nuptse, Lhotse, Makalu and Ama Dablam * Walk through stony trail – Descent to the Niyang Khola valley * Arrival in Chukkung (4,730 m) * _Overnight at Chhukung_ * _Trekking time: 7 to 8 hours_
* Depart from Chhukung towards Pangboche Village, via Khola * Visit to a famous old monastery at Pangboche * Descent towards the alpine desert and back into greenery of pine forests * Ascent to Tengboche (3,860 m) through a steep uphill * Visit to the famous Tengboche Monastery * _Overnight at Tengboche_ * _Trekking time: 5 hours_
* Descent towards Namche Bazaar (3,440 m), with access to guest houses and lodges, telecommunications, internet and various leisure and traditional Tibetan and modern western medical facilities * _Overnight at Namche_ * _Trekking time: 4 hours_
* Steep descent downward on rocky terrain towards Lukla (2,800 m) * Crossing of the suspension bridges over the Dudh Koshi * Landscape: a mixture of open plains, rhododendron and pine forests, and in the distance snow covered peaks * Walk through the Sherpa villages’ with the impressive Buddhist culture of prayer stones, Mani stones and prayer flags * _Overnight at Lukla_ * _Trekking time: 7 hours_
* Early morning flight to Kathmandu (1,350 m) * Transfer to the hotel * Optional: do some last minute shopping or explore sights in Kathmandu * _Overnight at Hotel B/B in Kathmandu_
* Three options: * to have the full day at leisure * extend your trip * or take time to explore the Thamel for last day shopping * Farewell dinner * _Overnight at Hotel B/B_
* Transfer to the International Airport * Departure to your next destination * End of program
Nepali | German | French | English
AMGA | NNMGA
I had an enlightening day with Roger, the experience has increased my desire to learn more about rock climbing and commit time to mountaineering and absolute pleasure worth every minute of my time and money.
20-day Himalayan 3 passes trek to Renjo La, Cho La and Khongma La
16-day trek in Upper Mustang, Nepal
11-day Ghore Pani Poon Hill sunrise trek in Nepal
Everest Base Camp, Nepal, 17 Day Guided Trek
Annapurna Massif, Nepal, 18 Day Guided Hiking Tour
Everest Base Camp 18-day Trek with group departure from Madrid
21-day Guided Trek in the Rolwaling Valley, Nepal – Himalayas
20-day Trekking in Mustang, Nepal
Stay up-to-date on the best adventures.