Go on adventurous trekking program in Nepal with a certified guide from the GuideSource team. Discover traditional villages, their local culture and unique landscapes!
Mar, Apr, May, Sep, Oct, Nov
Join along for a 27-day trekking program around Mount Kanchenjunga (8,586 m), the “queen of mountains” and third highest peak in the world. Over this time, you will discover traditional Nepalese villages and beautiful landscapes. This is a perfect opportunity to enjoy the wonderful remoteness of this area, right in the border of India and Nepal.
This itinerary begins at the Kathmandu Tribhuvan International Airport, where we will pick you up. We will first tour around Kathmandu and its several World Heritage Sites. Later, on Day 3 of the itinerary, we will fly to Birathnagar, and next day to Suketar for the beginning of our trekking adventure.
Along these days, you will visit traditional mountain villages like Chirwa, Gybala, and the famous Sherpa settlement Ghunsa. Another highlight of the program is the trek to Tseram through five different mountain passes, in one day.
All along the program we will spend the nights in campsites, which is a special experience in its own. Finally, we will trek across and along beautiful natural sites, like bamboo and rhododendrons forests, glaciers, and rivers like the Kabeli, Omje, Simbua and Tenguwa.
Have a look at the complete day-by-day itinerary below.
On this tour, you will be guided by an expert member of the GuideSource team and our own guiding team. At GuideSource we pride ourselves in our more than 35 years of experience, with zero serious or fatal accidents.
Interested in this Kanchenjunga Trek, 27-day program? Request your booking! If you are interested in shorter programs in this area, have a look at the Jomson Muktinath Trek, 11-day program and the Tengboche Mani Rimdu Festival, 14 Day Guided Trek.
- Accommodation included
- Guiding fee
- Transport during the trip
- Group porters
* Arrival in Kathmandu Tribhuvan International Airport * Transfer to the hotel * Briefing on the itinerary for the next days * _Overnight at Hotel B/B_
* Sightseeing around Kathmandu – World Heritage Sites like Durbar Square, the sacred Hindu temple of Pashupati Nath, the famous ‘Monkey Temple’ Swayambhu Nath and the Bouddha Nath Buddhist shrine * Optional: last minute shopping of personal items in preparation for the next day * _Overnight at Hotel B/B_
* Afternoon flight to Birathnagar * _Overnight at Hotel in Birathnagar_
* Morning flight to Suketar (45 minutes) * Meeting with the trekking crew * Trek along Suketar Danda * Arrival in Mitlung * _Overnight in camp_ * _Trekking time: 4 hours_
* Trek downhill to Mitlung, across scenic pastures and small villages * Crossing of Hungdewa Khola and the Tamur River * _Overnight in camp_ * _Trekking time: 4 hours_
* Descent to Sinwa * Trek to Tawa * Crossing of the suspension bridge at Thiwa * Arrival in Chirwa (1,180 m), a small Limbu village * _Overnight in camp_ * _Trekking time: 5 to 6 hours_
* Descent and trek along the Tamur River * Arrival in the Olangchung Gola, entry point of the Kanchenjugha National Park * Crossing of the Ghunsa Khola on suspension bridge * Arrival in campsite in Sekathum * _Overnight in camp_ * _Trekking time: 5 hours_
* Crossing of the river and steep ascent * Descent again and crossing of the river * Climb from the gorge bottom * Trek across Solima * Descent to river level * Arrival in Amjilosa (2,500 m) * _Overnight in camp_ * _Trekking time: 7 to 8 hours_
* Hike upwards along the river bank * Trek across the bamboo and rhododendrons forest * Climb up across small bridges * Trek across waterfall and pools as the river drops steeply * Arrival in Gyabla, a Tibetan settlement * _Overnight in camp_ * _Trekking time: 5 hours_
* Descent down the river * Arrival in Phole * Arrival in the famous Sherpa village of Ghunsa – the site where over 20 prominent conservationists died in a helicopter crash * _Overnight in camp_ * _Trekking time: 4.5 to 5.5 hours_
* Acclimatization day * Options: short hike towards the Lapsan La through lush green forest, or stay at Ghunsa and relax * _Overnight in camp_
* Trek from Ghunsa along the river bank * Crossing of the bridge at Rampuk Kharka – views of the Jannu * Arrival in Kambachen (4,090 m) * _Overnight in camp_ * _Trekking time: 6 hours_
* Climb along the river bank * Crossing to Ramtang across the bridge * Arrival at Lhonak (4,587 m) * _Overnight in camp_ * _Trekking time: 3.5 to 4.5 hours_
* Trek along the edge of the glacier – views of the Chang Himal * Arrival in Pangpema (5,150 m), a flat grassy base camp * Climb higher to appreciate the amazing views of the Kangchenjuna North Face * _Overnight in camp_ * _Trekking time: 3 to 4 hours_
* Climb to Drohmo Peak (6,855 m), a beautiful icy summit * _Overnight Pangpema_
* Descent to Khambachen (4,090 m) * _Overnight in camp_ * _Trekking time: 5 hours_
* Return to Ghunsa * _Overnight in camp_ * _Trekking time: 5 hours_
* Steep ascent to a high cam * Climb across the dense forest of moss, rhododendron and juniper * _Overnight stay in preparation for the trek to Mirgin La Pass_ * _Overnight in camp_ * _Trekking time: 5 hours_
* Trek across five passes: Tamo La (3900 m), an unnamed pass (4115 m), Mirgin La (4663 m), Sinion La (4660 m), and another unnamed pass (4,724 m) * Steep descent of 1,000 m to Tseram * _Overnight in camp_ * _Trekking time: 7 hours_
* Steady descent to Torontan * Crossing of the Omje river on bamboo poles * Trek along the Kabeli river upstream * Zigzag through fields of corn and barley to Darachuk * Trek to the Dubi Bhanjhyang pass (2,540 m) * Crossing of the stream on a log bridge, and further trek along the Omje river * Trek across Chitre (2,920 m) and Lamite Bhanjyang (3,410 m) * Trek along the Simbua river * Arrival in Torontan * _Overnight in camp_ * _Trekking time: 5 hours_
* Descent to Yamphudin, a mixed community of Sherpa, Limbu , Rai and Gurung * _Overnight in camp_ * _Trekking time: 5 hours_
* Gradual descent from the ridge to the Tenguwa river * Steep switchback up to another ridge with a Chorten and prayer flags * Descent across rubble and rock slides, across a stream, and into a deep section of the valley * Trek to the Kabeli river (1,640 m) * Gentle climb to Yamphudin, a community of Sherpas, Limbus, Rais and Gurungs * Arrival in Mamakhe (2,900 m) * _Overnight in camp_ * _Trekking time: 6 to 7 hours_
* Trek to the Limbu village of Thembewa (1,880 m) * Ascent and steep drop through Shimu and Pokhara * Crossing of a suspension bridge across the Phewa river (1,430 m) – a swimming hole and a possible campsite are near the river * Steep climb to Khunjari (1,700 m), a Limbu village * Arrival in Lalikharka (1,810 m) * _Overnight in camp_ * _Trekking time: 6 to 7 hours_
* Trek from Lalikharka to Suketar * _Overnight in camp_
* Flight from Suketar to Birathnagar * Flight from Birathnagar to Kathmandu * _Overnight at Hotel B/B_
* Day at leisure. Options: * Begin a new tour * Explore the Thamel for a last day of shopping * Farewell dinner * _Overnight at hotel_
* Tansfer to the International Airport * End of program
Nepali | German | French | English
AMGA | NNMGA
I had an enlightening day with Roger, the experience has increased my desire to learn more about rock climbing and commit time to mountaineering and absolute pleasure worth every minute of my time and money.
20-day Himalayan 3 passes trek to Renjo La, Cho La and Khongma La
16-day trek in Upper Mustang, Nepal
11-day Ghore Pani Poon Hill sunrise trek in Nepal
Everest Base Camp, Nepal, 17 Day Guided Trek
Annapurna Massif, Nepal, 18 Day Guided Hiking Tour
Everest Base Camp 18-day Trek with group departure from Madrid
21-day Guided Trek in the Rolwaling Valley, Nepal – Himalayas
20-day Trekking in Mustang, Nepal
Stay up-to-date on the best adventures.