Come on this 5-day group hike from Nupsstadarskogar to Skaftafell. Join one of the certified guides in the Icelandic Mountain Guides team during this unique traverse through Iceland!
Join us for an Iceland group backpacking tour from Nupsstadarskogar to Skaftafell, considered one of the Icelandic Mountain Guides great classic treks. Together, we will walk for between 6 and 8 hours per day, across a total of 60 km.
Along 5 days, we will guide you around some of Iceland's unique landscapes, on a trail not frequented by many. You will discover the amazing canyons of the Núpsá river. Other highlights will be the Grænalón Glacier lagoon, the Skeiðarárjökull glacier, and the Norðurdalur Valley.
First, we will meet you at the Harpa Concert Hall, in Reykjavik. Later, we will transfer to Kirkjubæjarklaustur first, and into the Nupsstadarskogar valley next. There, we will change transportation to a vehicle suitable to for this terrain. Next day, the adventure begins.
On Day 2, we will start hiking from the bottom of the valley. You will see the amazing Tvílitihylur waterfalls, and canyons of up to 200 m. We will later set our camp on the the Sléttur lava plains.
Next, on Day 3, we will climb our way to the Grænalón glacier lagoon for an amazing view of floating icebergs. Then, we will camp right in front of the huge glacier tongue of Skeiðarárjökull.
After that, Day 4 will be crossing Skeiðarárjökull day: 15 km mostly surrounded by ice and high mountain ridges. Later, we will reach the Skaftafell area of Vatnajökull National Park for a night at a unique camp site.
Finally, on Day 5, we will admire views of the Kjós valley and Hvannadalshnúkur, the highest mountain in Iceland. Later, we will go through the beautiful Arctic birch forest Bæjarstaðarskógur. Last, we will transfer back to Reykjavík from Skaftafell.
Please note: the price cited here is valid for group departures. Contact us for special individual prices.
So, interested on this classic Nupsstadarskogar to Skaftafell backpacking hike? Contact us with questions. Also check out other trips, like Amazing hike across Hrútsfjallstindar peaks.
- Guiding fee
- Transport during the trip
* Meeting at the Harpa Concert Hall, Reykjavík * Transfer to Kirkjubæjarklaustur – Lunch * Transfer into Nupsstadarskogar valley
* Hike through the valley, towards the waterfalls of Tvílitihylur * Hike through sculpted canyons of the Núpsá river * Overnight on campsite at the Sléttur lava plains * Total trek distance/time: 15-20 km / 6-7 hours.
* Climb towards the Grænalón glacier lagoon * Overnight at campsite north of the lagoon * Total trek distance/time: 18-22 km / 6-7 hours
* Crossing of Skeiðarárjökull, from Grænafjall Mountain to Norðurdalur valley * Arrival at the hinterland of the Skaftafell area of Vatnajökull National Park * Total trek distance/time: 18-22 km / 7-8 hours
* Climb through narrow mountain ridge * Views of Kjós valley and Hvannadalshnúkur mountain * Descent into Morsárdalur valley * Bæjarstaðarskógur forest * Main camp site of the Skaftafell National Park * Transfer back to Reykjavíc – End of program * Total trek distance/time: 20-25 km / 7-8 hours
Icelandic Mountain Guides has been setting the standard in terms of safety, expertise and environmental protection in Iceland since its creation in 1994. Our outdoor adventure company is owned and operated by mountain guides and was the first to offer the Glacier Walk in Iceland, which was key to the industry's exponential growth.
You will find our company's headquarters in Reykjavik and our base camp in the stunning Skaftafell National Park. Whether you want to go hiking, skiing or climbing or whether you are looking for a day tour or a multi-day tour, we can help you. Come with us to discover everything Iceland and Greenland have to offer.
| German | English
My tour was cancelled ! Icelandic Mountain replace it with an another
The hike together with group was super nice and fun with lots of laughter. We had all what Iceland could offer - snow, ice, rain, wind, sun, dramatically beautiful nature and delicious food. Our guide Ágúst was super! He has a lot of energy and knowledge. Additionally he is a good people person and very good cook. I enjoyed the 5 day hike in Laugavegur together with group very much and would recommend it to anyone!
The guide was perfect, nice place And nice Experience
These guides love what they do and that shows. Without such an experienced mountain guide it would have been impossible to reach the summit in such dangerous conditions of the glacier.
Everything worked and was very well organized. We are very proud of our guide Ursula and the help guide Gary.
Iceland and Vestmann Islands trekking tour
Landmannalaugar trek in Iceland
Classic 5-day Laugavegur Group hike in Iceland
Hiking guided tour in the south of Iceland
South Iceland guided hiking tour
Stay up-to-date on the best adventures.