Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
The trail to Laguna Churup is one of the classic hikes of the Cordillera Blanca and works perfectly as an acclimatization route. We will drive to the village of Llupa, our trailhead. We’ll walk on an ancient Inca trail to Laguna Churup. The Churup Peak rises above the lake. Here we can continue ascending and do a loop to the Churup summit trail before returning to the trailhead and back to Huaraz for the night. Overnight Hotel (-/-/-)
Today we will move to the starting point of the Santa Cruz trek. A private transfer will take us across the Santa River and then, along a narrow route towards the Santa Cruz Valley. We’ll arrive at Cashapampa (2900 m) where our trek begins and our local team is waiting: the donkey drivers will carry our baggage from now on. Starting in the lush vegetation of the valley, we’ll continue walking deeper into this unique mountain landscape. After around 4:30 hours, we will finally arrive at our campsite in Llamacorral. Overnight Camp (-/L/D).
Today we’ll climb via the Santa Cruz Gorge and pass alongside the lakes of Ichiccocha y Jatuncocha. At the edge of the trees, the lupines enchant us with all colors of blue. Then we will go to the Arhueycocha Lake (4450m), which is also the departure point for climbing the Alpamayo. We will enjoy a fantastic view of the peaks of Alpamayo, Quitaraju, Artesonraju. Finally, camping night at Taullipampa (B/L/D).
It will be an easy climb at first but the trail soon becomes dry, rocky and steep. This trail was used from pre-Inca times to get to Punta Unión, an imposing mountain. It will take us about 2 hours.
The descent is also steep and passes through the beautiful high mountain landscape of the Morococha Lake. We will finally get to the Huaripampa Valley, where we camp for the night (B/L/D).
After descending through the forests of the Huaripampa Valley, we will pass through a typical village of the high Andes, called Vaquería. From here we’ll climb to Portachuelo de Llanganuco Pass. A transfer will be waiting us to cross the pass and take us to the hotel, where we’ll spend the night (B/L/-).
Not included in the price:
- International flights to Lima / Peru round trip
- Transfer from the airport for bookings of individual flights with different times of arrival / departure
- Exit tax at the airport in Lima
- Travel accident and health insurance
- Luggage insurance and trip cancellation
- Meals in restaurants in Lima and Huaraz
- Pick up at the airport in Lima to the Hotel
- Transfer from the Hotel to the airport and bus station
- Transport public bus or Domestic flight Airline LC-Peru
- Hotel Casa Andina 2 nights in Lima or other hotel
- Hotel San Sebastián 4 nights in Huaraz or other hotel
- Entrance fees to the Huascaran National Park
- Personal expenses
- Personal equipment (such as boots, ice ax, crampons, harness, sleeping bag, mat, Goretex, etc.)
IFMGA/UIAGM mountain guide from Peru.
He was born in 1960 in Huaraz / Peru. With his 15th Age he learned the world of trekking and mountaineering know by he accompanied his father on trips with his clients.
To this day he is still working as a mountain guide and tour operator. For many years he was able to acquire a lot of knowledge about the mountains, making it one of the most experienced certified mountain guides.
He runs a family travel agency based in Huaraz, which was founded by his father, and is now managed by Juventino and his son, Eric.
NEWNeed help deciding?
Stay up-to-date on the best adventures!