Jun, Jul, Aug
We will meet at North Exit, Sapporo Station at 7:00 a.m. Or, pick up at your hotel at 6:30 a.m. or meet at Memanbetsu Airport at 1:00 p.m.
From Sapporo station, we will go forward to Kitami area and have lunch. After that, we will stop at Memanbetsu Airport. We will drive to Shiretoko and stay overnight at Kinoshita Mountain Hut. In that lodge, the guide will provide supper for the tour members.
The hike-up to the summit of Rausu-dake will take us about 4-5 hours. Then, we will set up our tents at Mitsumine campsite around 1 hour from the summit. (tent)
Total walking hours: 7.
This is the longest day of the tour. We will be walking about 8 hours passing through beautiful landscapes. At night, we will stay at Iouzan campsite. (tent)
Total walking hours: 8-9.
We will hike to Shiretoko and drive back to Sapporo.
Total walking hours: 6-7.
– Backpack (40-50 liters)
– Rainwear, warm fleece jacket or thin warm jacket
– Sleeping bag (3 seasons: -5° to 15°)
– Camping mattress
– Cup and dish
– Bottle of water
It is also possible for you to borrow some of the bigger equipment from me, so let me know if you need any!
– Sleeping bag at JPY 1,000 per day
– Backpack at JPY 1,000 per day
– cup/bottle/head torch at JPY 500 each per day
There is also an online gear rental shop called Yamarent, where you can hire trekking shoes and clothes in addition to gears. Once you reserve your items, they will deliver the items to your accommodation in Japan or you can collect and fit the gears at their shops located near Shinjuku station or Kawaguchiko station.
You’ll be eligible for a discount of 10% with the Explore&Share promotion code, ES3776, if you rent more than JPY 5,000.
In Hokkaido, the temperature might be under 10℃ even at lower mountains. When the weather condition is bad, it could be as low as -10℃ even in the summertime. Usually, in the early summer, the temperature is around 20℃～23℃ in July. Morning and evening are getting cooler at the campsite. Please bring your warm clothes.
- If you have items that you do not want to carry during the hike, you can leave them in my car. My car will be transferred from the trailhead to Shimo-Yamaguchi.
- I will provide you light meals for your breakfast and supper. And, you will have drinking water every day.
- The participants will share the tent for 4-people.
- If you are flying to Memanbetsu Airport, please book your flight arriving at the airport before 7:00 p.m., and departure from the same airport after 4:00 p.m.
JMGA Mountain Guide
I was born in Kitami city in east Hokkaido. I grew up loving outdoor sports, skiing, and mountain climbing. I now lives in Sapporo and I have been a guide for the last 15 years.
I have accumulated vast experience in mountaineering in both Japan and abroad. I have served on the Canadian Ski Patrol and I have a wealth of experience skiing, rock climbing, and mountain climbing all over the world including Europe, North America, and Nepal.
I pride myself on my skill and experience rock climbing during the summer and backcountry skiing in the winter months. I have climbed Mt. McKinley in the U.S., Mt. Manaslu and Mt. Ama-Dablam, in Nepal, The Matterhorn, Mont Blanc, Chamonix, in Europe and Insubong in Korea.
Please contact me if you want to experience Japan walking, climbing or skiing! I will be very happy to guide you here.
NEWNeed help deciding?
Stay up-to-date on the best adventures!