People per Guide
Aug, Sep, Oct
Type of Trip
Come and find the breathtaking view of the sunset, the stars, and the sunrise that you will never be able to find at the base of mountains
There is a moment that change your whole attitude towards life. And maybe, that moment is the Overnight Climbing Trip on Rishiri Mountain.
A mountain that is 360 degrees surrounded by ocean, like Mt Rishiri, is rare in the world, and that is why you can enjoy the special and spectacular scenery that is hard to find wherever in the world.
The sunset, stadium of stars and early-morning sunlight… you will have glorious views of the nature during the tour on Rishiri Mountain. I would like you to experience this special moment with us. This is the best tour to have a lot of fun whilst climbing.
Day 1: Total hours of walking: 4.5 hours (ascent)
After gear check, we will start at around 10:00 am. If you come by Heart Land Ferry, which leaves Wakkanai at 7:15 and arrives at Oshidomari (Rishiri) at 8:55, then you can also join this tour. After walking about 4.5 hours, we will arrive at the bivouac hut. Enjoy looking at the setting sun and dinner. After dinner, star-filled night sky will welcome you!
Day 2: Total hours of walking: 6 hours (2-hour ascent, 4-hour descent)
Our day starts at around 2 hours before the sun rise. With a small backpack with basic gears and a head torch, we will start walking. It will be about 30 minutes before the sun rise when we should arrive at the summit of Mt Rishiri. There, we suck in the early-morning rays of sunshine and prepare for the descent. After returning at the bivouac hut, we will have a breakfast and start the remainder of the descent. It maybe around 1:00 – 2:00 pm when we return to the starting point of the hike. I will then drive you back to your hotels. (restricted to the Oshidomari area)
* It is not allowed to stay overnight at the bivouac hut on Rishiri Mountain except in case of emergencies. Therefore, this programme is not offered in June-July during the peak climbing periods. We will only be using the hut to take a light nap.
1 person – JPY 72,000 per person
2 people – JPY 48,000 per person
3 people – JPY 40,800 per person
4 people – JPY 36,000 per person
5-8 people – JPY 27,600 per person
Included in Price:-
Guide Fee for 2 days, Meals (2 breakfast and dinner)
Coming to Rishiri can be done either by flight (45 min) from Sapporo either by ferry (1.40) leaving from Wakkanai.
|– Large Backpack (over 40L)|
– Usual hiking / mountaineering clothing
– Sleeping bag
– Sleeping mat
– Portable toilet (3 sets)
– Toilet paper
– Head torch (with spare batteries)
– Warm clothes (beanies, gloves, etc..)
– Change of clothes
– Toiletries, towel
– Alcoholic beverages
– 4L of Water (2L for drinking, 2L for cooking meals)
– Others: Rain wear (top & bottom), personal medical kits, trash bag, snacks, emergency food, etc.)
* In some cases we may ask you to carry foodstuffs. We appreciate your help.
- This tour is available for a limited time only from August to October. In these months, night is long and the air is clear. it will be comfortable to spend the night on the mountain
- Joining this trip in Aug-Sept is great, but seeing the first snowcap on Mt Rishiri in October is also very special.
- It is recommended to schedule an extra / contingency day in case of bad weather. We will then be able to pick the best day for camping and for summiting.
- Check out my hiking trip that lets you see both Rishiri and Rebun islands, and even the sea kayaking trip on Rebun island, if you’re very into the outdoors and like enjoying the nature!
- For your safety and comfort, please follow the instruction given by the guide during the tour.
- For hazard avoidance, this program could be cancelled, postponed or changed in case of bad weather.
Please see Cancellation Fee as below in case of last minute cancellations:
- For cancellation on the day before the trip – 50% of Trip Price
- For cancellation on the day of the trip – 100% of Trip Price
Price per person
- Guiding fee
- All meals during trip
What happens if I need to cancel the trip?
If you decide to cancel, you’ll get a 100% refund (minus fees) if the cancellation is notified up to 60 days before the start of the tour, a 75% refund (minus fees) if you cancel between 59 and 30 days before the start of the tour, and a 50% refund if you cancel between 29 and 21 days before the start of the tour. If you cancel less than 21 days before the first day of the tour, you won’t receive a refund.Take into account, however, that if accommodation, flights or transfers were included in the trip you booked, then a different policy may apply as the guide will be bound by the provider’s cancellation policy.
What happens if the guide cancels the trip because of bad weather/unsuitable conditions?
If bad weather or unsuitable conditions force the guide to cancel the trip, he or she will: a) propose a similar activity at a different place where conditions are better, or b) propose to postpone the activity until a later date, or c) cancel. If you refuse option a), our cancellation policy will apply. Please note, however, that the call to cancel a trip due to bad weather can only be made by the guide (not the client).
What happens if the guide doesn’t show up or cancels for personal reasons?
If the guide cancels for reason of injury or other, you will get a 100% refund on your trip.
About the Guide
I was born on the island of Rishiri in 1969. I still live here today! Since my childhood, I have spent most of my time in the sea, going fishing, and in the mountain going skiing. I’m a ski guide (level 2) from the Japanese Mountain Guide Association. I’m the only one on the island. I have reached the summit of Rishiri more than 500 times… It’s my great pleasure to guide here and let people from all around the world discover this beautiful island all year round. Please feel free to get in touch with me if you are looking for a local expert to guide you in Rishiri. Besides mountain guiding, I'm managing a family hostel here so I can help you with the accommodation as well.
What People Say about Toshiya Watanabe
Join our Newsletter
Stay up-to-date on the best adventures!