Come join me for a hiking tour to explore the natural beauties on both Rishiri and Rebun islands, located on the northern tip of Hokkaido in Japan! The programme involves a hike to the summit of the volcano, Mt Rishiri (1,719m), and a ‘flower trek‘ on Rebun island.
The Trek is offered from June until October, but it is recommended for you to join before the end of August if your objective is to enjoy the flora.
Highlights of this programme:
1. Mt Rishiri is northern most “100 famous mountains” in Japan.
It is a 10hr hike to the summit and back. You will have flexibilities with summit day depending on the weather, to ensure you’ll have the best possible summiting experience!
2. If the weather is clear, you will be able to enjoy a 360 panoramic view from the summit of Mt Rishiri (1,719m), and may be able to see Rebun island and Wakkanai beyond the sea that surrounds Rishiri island!
3. Local guide. I can take you to secret spots of flora on Mt Rishiri that only local guides know..
4. Enjoy the flora during its best season from June to August. Rishiri and Rebun islands are located close to each other like twins. They are similar and yet very different, and you can enjoy trekking during the season when their flora is at its peak in June. You have the opportunity to maybe see the rare and endemic species.
5. Flower trekking on Rebun island. It is a rare location, where highland flora can be found at sea level. I will pick the best trekking route, taking into consideration the weather and timing of the year.
6. Local gourmet meal!
Rishiri is famous for uni (sea urchin) and local seaweed. Make sure you don’t forget to enjoy the local cuisine for dinner!! “Unimeshi-don” served at my pension has won prizes at local rice bowl competitions in the country. Enjoy our Unimeshi-don with ikura (salmon roe) on top!
Day 0: Take a ferry from Wakkanai port the day before to Rishiri island. Overnight stay in Rishiri.
Day 1: Take a ferry from Rishiri to Rebun island. Enjoy flower trekking on Rebun island and relax at a natural onsen after the trek. Take a ferry back to Rishiri for overnight stay.
Day 2: Wake up early and hike to the summit of Mt Rishiri. Overnight stay in Rishiri.
*The itinerary on each day is subject to change, as we will pick the best weather day for the hike to the summit of Mt Rishiri.
**Please ensure you book accommodation for 3 nights. If the hike to Mt Rishiri is on Day 1 then it is necessary for you to be in Rishiri the night before.
1 person – JPY 84,000 per person
2 people – JPY 42,000 per person
3 people – JPY 33,600 per person
4 people – JPY 26,400 per person
5 people – JPY 22,800 per person
6-8 people – JPY 114,000 per group
9-20 people – JPY 138,000 per group*
*for groups over 9 people, you will have me to guide you on Rebun island and I will get another guide to help me guide on Rishiri island.
You can stay at my family hostel. Prices start from below. Please get in touch to get more info:
Halfboard – JPY 13,200
Bed & Breakfast only – JPY 9,600
Bed only – JPY 8,400
Coming to Rishiri can be done either by flight (45 min) from Sapporo either by ferry (1.40) leaving from Wakkanai.
Rishiri island is my favourite playground also in the winter, which I cannot recommend more strongly! Join me for a few days of backcountry skiing or snowshoeing in the winter to explore the winter beauty of Rishiri island!
Price per person
|Group of 2||42000JPY|
|Group of 3||33600JPY|
|Group of 4||26400JPY|
|Group of 5||22800JPY|
|Group of 6||19000JPY|
|Group of 7||16286JPY|
|Group of 8||14250JPY|
- Guiding fee
|You will stay in my family hostel that I manage. It is equipped with an onsen (hot spring bath) where it is awesome to stay after a day of trekking. You will enjoy delicious home-cooked Japanese food.|
|Price for 9-20 people group, JPY 138,000 for the group - 1 guide for 1 day and 2 guides for 1 day|