People per Guide
Mar, Apr, May, Sep, Oct, Nov
Type of Trip
Trekking any part of the majestic Himalayan mountains is an amazing adventure. One popular route is the intense 16-day trek to Mt Everest Base Camp, but of course this program is not for everyone. I’d like to offer you a more relaxed trek that reaches the Everest Base Camp through the Gokyo Valley. On this 20-day trek we test our limits while cherishing the surrounding area.
The Gokyo Lakes region is located at the head of the Dudh Kosi Valley. Gokyo Tso is the principal lake and is part of Nepal’s Sagarmatha National Park, at an altitude of 4,700m (15,400ft) above sea level. Sagarmatha National Park is also home to Mt. Everest (8,848 m) and many other of the world’s highest peaks. Sagarmatha, known locally as “Khumbu,” is a rugged area with glaciers, deep gorges, and impassable rock and ice faces. It is also the home of the famous Sherpa people.
On this trip, we trek through the Sherpa heartland and summit Gokyo Ri (4790 m) before arriving at Everest Base Camp (5365 m). This way, we have lots of time to acclimatize and we get to explore a lot the region. The summit of Gokyo Ri is one of the highlights of the trip because from there we have a great view of Everest and the 8000 m peaks of Lhoste, Cho-Oyu, and Makalu. Another highlight is crossing chola pass glacier (5380 m), the highest point of the trip and probably the highest point of your life.
I hope during the trek you also take the time to appreciate the Sherpa culture. The Sherpas have historically lived by farming potatoes and barley and grazing yaks at high altitudes. But recently they have become well-known in the mountaineering and trekking industry. They are highly skilled mountaineers, and loyal and friendly.
You will also have the chance to observe the unique surrounding wildlife. Common animals in this region are the Musk deer, Himalaya Tahr, Pikka weasal, Ghoral, and jackal. The Himalayan black bear, snow leopard, wolf, and lynx also live in this area.
I urge you to consider this incredible trip to the Himalayas, accompanied by me, a local certified guide. I will make sure you have the experience of your life. Contact me for more information. I’m looking forward to meeting you in the mountains.
Inspired? Check out other trips I lead in Nepal, like this summit of Ama Dablam.
- Day 1: Arrive in Kathmandu
- Day 2: City sightseeing tour of Kathmandu
- Day 3: Fly Kathmandu to Lukla & commence trek to Phanking
- Day 4: Trek to Namche Bazaar (3,400m/11,155ft)
- Day 5: Acclimatization and leisure day in Namche Bazaar
- Day 6: Trek to Mongla (3900m) – 4 hrs.
- Day 7: Trek to Dole (4050m) – 3 hours
- Day 8: Trek to Machermo (4,470m) – 3 hrs
- Day 9: Trek to Gokyo (4,790m) – 3½ hrs
- Day 10: Ascent of Gokyo Ri (5,357m) and move onto Dargnak
- Day 11: Cross Cho La (5,380m) to Dzongla
- Day 12: Dzongla to Lobuche
- Day 13: Trek to Everest Base Camp (5,365 m) then back to Gorakshep (7/8 hrs)
- Day 14: Hike up to Kala Pathar (5,555m) and trek down to Periche (4,200m) – 6 hrs
- Day 15: Trek to Kyangjuma (3,550m/11,545ft)
- Day 16: Trek to Monjo (2,835m/9,300ft)
- Day 17: Trek to Lukla
- Day 18: Fly back to Kathmandu
- Day 19: At Leisure in Kathmandu
- Day 20: Farewell departure to your home country
Beautiful alpine campsites
About the Guide
I come from the East part of Nepal, between Makalu (8,470m) and Kangchenjunga (8,586m). I am IFMGA/UIAGM fully certified since 2009. I have 20+ experience of climbing in the Himalaya. I’ve climbed Mt Everest (7 times), Mt Cho Oyu in Tibet (2 times), Mt Ama Dablam (8 times), Baruntse (2 times), Island peak (15 times), Lobuche (10 times), Pokhalde (10 times), Mera peak (10 times), Mehera peak (5 times), Chulu far east (3 times), Mt Shishapangma until camp 3, Manaslu until 7200m, and Chulu West, Lhakpa ri and other another few more times.
I also have extensive experience of climbing in Europe: France, Italy, UK and Norway (where I work for three months during the summer as a glacier guide).
I'm also a technical mountain rescue coordinator for the 8000's.
It will be my pleasure to guide you through your journey whether for trekking, peak climbing or any mountaineering expedition. Get in touch and let's discuss about the purpose of your trip.
What People Say about Jyamchang Bhote