With many icicles and frozen waterfalls during the winter season, Japan is a great ice climbing destination. Why don’t you come here to get started on this sport?
I propose you to join a group for a 1 or 2-day course where you will learn the basics on ice climbing. There are courses in different locations, depending if its early or late season.
Ice climbing spots
- Natsuzawa Onsen in the Yatsugatake mountains, a group of eight volcanic peaks in the border between Nagano and Yamanashi prefectures.
- Mount Myōjin (Myojindake) big icicles. This is a 1432 m peak of the North Japan Alps.
- Arafuneyama, a 1423 m peak in Gunma prefecture. There’s an ice fall in a gully called Shōten-no-tsurara (icicles of Ascension).
- Ogawayama. This 2418 m peak is a very famous rock climbing destination. During winter, it also becomes attractive for ice climbers. Here, we’ll go to Karasawa-no-taki ice fall.
- Okuchichibu mountains, a group of peaks on western Tokyo. Our spot here will be Masutomi Onsen. A 5 min walk from the parking will lead us to a 60 m waterfall.
If you’d like to take an introductory ice climbing course in Japan, send a request! I can assure you it will be a great experience.
In case you’re looking for other kind of winter activities in Japan, you can also consider this snow mountain climbing course for beginners.
Price per person per day
|Group of 2||50000JPY|
|Group of 3||50000JPY|
|Group of 4||50000JPY|
|Group of 5||50000JPY|
|Group of 6||50000JPY|
|Group of 7||50000JPY|
- Guiding fee
- Mountain guide's expenses
The price stated above is the one for:
-Natsuzawa Onsen in the Yatsugatake mountains.
-Okuchichibu mountains, Masutomi Onsen.
These are the prices for the other locations & routes:
-Arafuneyama, Shōten-no-tsurara (icicles of Ascension): JPY 60000
-Ogawayama, Karasawa-no-taki ice fall: JPY 40000
-Mount Myōjin (Myojindake) big icicles, North Japan Alps: JPY 80000
Transport and accommodation costs for the clients are not included in the price.
Skill level required
Fitness level required